Saturday, April 24

Reality Sets In

The other day some people came by to see if they wanted to rent our house after we left. As I worked to pick things up around the house, I realized that I have a lot of hobby-related stuff. Lots of fabic, yarn, lots of random bits of things that I may or may not need. We've been looking for houses to rent in Houston and many of the ones we've been looking at were not built recently and don't have a lot of closet space. Even in a new house, we probably won't have all the storage space that we do in this house. I have a whole closet, that could fit all the kids' basement toys, full of my stuff. I don't want to move it all back to Houston.

Yesterday I decided to tackle the closet. Lucky for me, there's a group up here, Grandmothers to Grandmothers, that will take large remnants of fabric and do useful things with them. Out went the little scraps of things - the bits left over from making baby clothes, dresses for me, dresses for the girls, costumes and such - and I saved only the bits that I thought I could use in quilts in the future.

I have the fabric to make Catherine's quilt, and a pine tree block quilt for me, and that was saved as well. I saved my yard, but have resolved to use it for something soon. I also rediscovered the quilt tops I salvaged from cleaning out my mother-in-law's house (she was a hoarder) and there's one, with extra blocks in a tin, that Smallest loves and wants on her bed. Shouldn't be hard to finish that up.

I went from three full 3 ft. shelves to one cardboard box from Office Depot, one black garbage bag and three tall stacks of good remnants to give away. It was nice to look at something and say, "Nope, I'm never going to do anything with that" and get rid of it. Ahhh.

I went back and took a quick look through my projects as well and decided to do some of the quick sewing things. There are two checkerboards that I started (one with checkerboard fabric!), Middle's costume to fix for her dance recital, some long overdue mending, and some other bits here and there. I think I can finish a good portion this weekend. That would be cool.

Plus, Catherine's in NYC this weekend, so I can increase my commanding lead!

30 min. Thursday, 2.5 hours Friday, 18.75 total.

Margie


No comments:

Post a Comment