Saturday, January 20

Planes as plant food

This is a silly title, but my flowers are growing at a terrific rate thanks to all my plane time. I started and finished the half flower in the bottom right of the photo, finished assembling the rows of the blue one and started sewing those up, started and nearly finished the orange half flower, and I've created the rows for the green half flower! I would have made more progress on the green one but it needs ironing - somehow the hexagons got all mushed up and it is annoying. 


I realized I didn't make a note last week that I spent a bunch of time cutting the rest of the hexagons (with the exception of two, where I need to sew some fabric together to make a piece big enough). So now all I have to do is sew sew sew!! Until I get done with the flowers, and then I will have to cut a billion white hexagons as the in-between sections. For now, it's so fun to have all the colors to choose from and really start to imagine what the quilt will look like. 

Another fun fact, that came up in my conversations at home this morning: I so far have not had to buy any fabric - this is all coming from my stash plus the two collections I received from my fabulous neighbors. It was a fun logic problem to look at what I had and try to pair them up individually and then think about how they'd all fit together - there were definitely some fun fabrics that would have ruined the overall mood so got set aside. I'll have to find another use for them!

The only challenge for my continued progress is that I have just gotten home from my last trip for a while, so I will have to be patient (yet not lose focus!) as I wait for a lot of flights that are on the horizon, and work on other things that are less suitable for planes in the meantime. 

I did have one other achievement this week - I was reminded that John's birthday is coming up soon, and we were so close to finishing the bugs! I just needed to put sparkly thread in the scarab's border. But I just really hated that border, both by itself and in combination with the other two. After consultation with Margie, we agreed that I should make a new border to match the others. Ta da!! It is done. Today I will wash/prep them and tomorrow I'll take them to the framer in the hopes of having them done in time.


Full flowers: 3/64 done (plus 1 started)

Half flowers: 1/8 done (plus 2 started)

- Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment