Monday, April 24

Year of quilts: 1 down

I have finished my first quilt of the year! I took Friday off for no particular reason and the thing I decided I most wanted to do was wrap up the fish quilt. 

On Friday I made the quilt sandwich, put in some basting and safety pins to hold it in place, and then quilted the fish. I decided that was enough "quilting" given that the quilt is actually pretty small and the batting is not very poofy. I also picked the border fabric and cut out strips.

On Saturday I sewed the border strips together, and with some help from the internet, made some lovely mitered corners. My sewing machine went on a brief strike (I discovered I had loosened the wheel that connects the foot pedal to the needle somehow; all better now) which worked out in my favor because I had forgotten to put a little signature in ("CG23", in case that's not obvious from the photo); after completing that, I finished the front seam. It took me a surprisingly long time to do the final seam, in part because I was too lazy to iron the border fabric on the front.

Anyway, it's done! See?

As I was busy sewing, I also figured out how I want to quilt the second quilt I'm working on - for that one, the quilt top is finished and I just need to sew it together, but I was stuck on what seemed like a very manual process for the original idea I had. So I have regained some mental momentum there and hope to move that along asap. Yay for quilts!

- Catherine


 






No comments:

Post a Comment