Wednesday, March 31

Mild, please!

I am sorry you got discouraged, but I am glad you didn't work too hard to try to catch up since it might have been frustrating for you. As you will see, I took it into my head that it would be nice to end on a round number, so I knit on the subway on the way to work, on the way home from work, and for the last many hours in front of one of my favorite dumb tv shows (and other assorted silliness). 5.25 hours total. I finished the 4th square (and did about 4 rows too many - I think I'm going to have to undo some) and am ~80% through with the 5th one. Phew!

I did have a couple of thoughts that are perhaps worth sharing. One is that I'm glad our numbers of hours overall were so close. I wasn't sure it would work out that way, and I think it would have been a lot less fun/motivating if one of us had been crushing the other. The second is that it's really been great starting this blog. Whenever I start to do something now that is totally mindless (mainly computer games!), I stop and think 'I could be doing something productive with my time, like sewing.' It's nice to feel like I'll be able to look back on this month/year/whatever and know that I did a lot of good things. The third is that we've put in a lot of hours. It's really neat to see how it all adds up, and makes me wonder about what else I could do if I dedicated so much time to one thing. You might think slogging through a PhD would have given me the same sense of satisfaction/confidence/not sure what the right word is, but there were a lot more external sources of motivation in that case. On a related note, one thing I've pondered doing (sometime in my life, as probably most people do) is writing a book, and it's fun to imagine how much progress I could make if I just stuck with it, as we have so far with the Project Project.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next! Will I be more relaxed with a victory in the bag, or more competitive to keep my win streak going? It'll be fun to find out!

150 hours.
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment