Sunday, February 28

what a square!

I have not yet been able to deliver the pajamas to SPR, and in fact am still stewing about them. I don't like the buttonholes/waistband holes, and want to replace them. Also, I'm thinking about cleaning up some of the seams. But, I'll get to that shortly. 

In the meantime, I needed to find some new things to work on. I've decided it's time for the quilt. I bought this fabric back when I was in Philly, more than 4 years ago. One side is going to be this lovely orange embroidered flowery thing, and the other side is going to be white/yellow/orange/green (and maybe a little pink) log cabin squares. I had to wash all the squares of fabric and figure out what the right pattern was, but I think according to our system that doesn't count. I also probably need to think about what the overall look is going to be (do I want some squares to be all dark shades, and some all lighter shades, or to weave between them, how much green vs. orange, etc. etc.). But, I decided I also wanted to just try making one square. So, I dove in! Here's the result. According to my measurements (wanting to make a quilt for a double bed), I need 144 of these blocks. Hmm...

I also am going to be on the subway a lot this week (two dress rehearsals for my upcoming choir concert! Yippee!), so I wanted to start a project that I could take with me easily. My aunt has this lovely knitted blanket that's kind of a quilt - lots of little blocks of knitting, so I'm going to give that a try. I've started the first block, but it's much bigger than I expected (I underestimated how different the casting on was from the regular knitting). I'll have to ponder whether it's worth ripping out and starting again. I also might need to ponder whether I should buy some smaller knitting needles. Hmm...

Even with all that blabbing, I only got in an hour of 'work' (40 minutes on the square, 20 minutes on the knitting). So I'm at 102.
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment