Monday, February 8

Homeland is secure

I have been traveling and am pleased to report that no one cares in the slightest if you bring giant metal spikes on a plane, as long as they are in the form of hobbies. In particular, I took a pair of ~12 inch knitting needles and a ~9 inch crochet hook in my carry on baggage. Seriously, that is a major loophole! (though one I appreciate...) A friend of mine (male) thought that was a sexist regulation, but I think it's only sexist if you can demonstrate that women get through with knitting needles but men get stopped. I suggested that he volunteer to test it out, but for some reason he didn't go for it. Anybody else want to give it a go??

Anyway, I had a lot of time on planes and in airports and during other down time over the weekend to work on the scarf for the coworker's daughter and Baby Blanket 2: Babies take Manhattan. The scarf is done, pending much weaving in of loose ends, and baby blanket is nearly halfway done. It helps that I'm using a slightly larger hook and also thicker yarn. In regards to my ongoing psychology experiment, I had a surprising number of people talk to me in the airport about the scarf - apparently airports are a less scary place for people to knit than on the subway. Or, there are more people there. But, no conversations about the crochet. Hmm...

Well, not much else to report. I've had to do a lot of estimating for time this weekend, but: there was >3 hours on Thursday, 1.5 hours Friday, and 22 rows for Saturday through today. I did a calibration curve (doing a row with no interruptions) and it took 20 minutes. So, the overall time for the weekend (adding 10 minutes tonight rolling a ball of yarn) is 12 hours. The plan for the rest of the week is to suspend time on BB2 while I finish the three projects that are nearly *nearly* done. Then, looking forward, I'm hoping that one of the two remaining people I know that are pregnant are having girls, as I still have a lot of pink yarn.

78 hours so far. 
Catherine 

No comments:

Post a Comment