Sunday, May 9

Speed demon

Margie's post made me think about the time I thought I had ADD. It turns out, I was just in graduate school, and also trying to plan a wedding. That's too much for anyone. 

It's funny - I also like planning things and imagining how fabulous they're going to be, and buy lots of supplies, but then don't finish. I think the slow step for me, though, is even just starting. For example, I have had this fabric out on my ironing board for at least a week, and got the interfacing, and have read the instructions, and it all seems very straightforward. So what's the deal? I don't know.

Interestingly (to me, at least), I may have the same problem with running. I have a big mental block to just putting the first few steps together, and the first mile or two is always fairly miserable, but then as I get closer to the end, I speed up. SPR (who knows a thing or two about running) thinks this is quite unusual, but to me it makes perfect sense: When I can really appreciate how far I have left to go, I can do a better job of figuring out how much energy I have and parcel it out accordingly. Also, at some point I'm just ready to be done, so I speed up even more. 

Hopefully that will be the same for my knitting project, as the baby shower (where I intend to give this as a present) is only 2 weeks away! I worked for an hour and 45 minutes so far this morning, and may have another stab at it after breakfast. I finished square #6, and started #7, so I may be down to the last three.

9 hours, 20 minutes for me.
Catherine

1 comment:

  1. JUST in graduate school? Anyhow, after your math dominance in school (and then Organic Chem - bleah!) you should have known you were unaffected by that particular problem.

    ReplyDelete