Friday, March 8

Mending mania

I'm glad to report that I made the most of Evil Twin's absence (even despite an early return, the sewing could not be stopped!) and had an excellent weekend of clothing repairs and adventures.

I repaired the waistband of some scrubs that Margie gave me back in the dark ages, so they are now serviceable again. I put iron-on patches on:

- a tanktop that had a long skinny tear

- a pair of jeans where the belt loop had pulled up, ripping a hole in the main pants material (and then used some nylon thread through the loop & patch to make sure that it was all contained)

- the stretchy sleeve of a fabulous hoodie I got in New Zealand that has been sitting in the closet for far too long while I was intimidated by the stretchy material.

Yay!

I had also previously dismantled a dress (from India?) that was super cute but for people much shorter than me. I had been meaning to turn the front of the top into a little bag. And I did! Not any fancy sewing required; just needed to get on it. Isn't it cute? I'm using it to store the hexagons I'm actively working on.



I also wanted to turn the bottom of the dress into a skirt. I had to find and decorate some red ribbon to match the waistband in the front half of the skirt, and install that, and put in a zipper. I did successfully put in a zipper, and wore the skirt out to dinner on Saturday night. A fashion debut!! But I also offset it in the wrong direction on the seam so that the zipper was more visible from the front than the back, and the zipper I had on hand - white - was so distracting that I decided to redo it. I also discovered while reconsidering this situation that I had forgotten one of the bits of decoration on the new ribbon. So on Sunday, I pulled everything back apart. I got a new (blue) zipper on Tuesday and will finish that up soon!

I still have some more mending projects, so will try to keep the pressure on. :)

- Catherine


No comments:

Post a Comment