Wednesday, March 13

All that and a bag of fish

I have been meaning for some time to convert some punch needle products into little pencil cases for two friends, but I was intimidated by trying to get the stiffness of the bag right and generally not having made one of these before (or many things that incorporate a lining). I finally worked up my courage by deciding to do a test bag. I offered it up to Evil Twin, so he got to pick the fabric and size, but with no promises that it would be any good.

I am pleased to say that it mostly turned out perfectly! The instructions for the fusible interfacing were far too gentle - trying to use a cloth between the iron and fabric just led to limited glue activation, and when I used a *damp* cloth (per the instructions) it just led to a soggy mess. However, brute force - i.e., iron right on the fusible, for ~2-3 times as long as the instructions said - helped a lot. It also wasn’t really clear from the video I was following how close to the zipper I should sew the various fabrics, and I was too aggressive there. As a result, there is a tendency for the zipper to get stuck and the zipper tabs didn’t have enough room to make nice corners. Not bad enough to fix on the test, but great to know for the next!

It’s so fun to finally be making progress on these old to-dos. :)

- Catherine








No comments:

Post a Comment