Friday, June 18

Behold! The Pink Skirt!

There it is...the skirt of pinkness!

While I was sewing on the ruffle, I discovered several things.

First, you know how often when you baste for ruffles, the directions tell you to baste two rows? One row always seems to be where you actually sew the ruffle to the other piece, so the basting is a big pain to take out, and there are always folds and smushy parts and it's all just a pain. Well, tonight I cheated and moved the lower row down a bit and it all was so much easier! Breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

Second, (this is a roundabout point) I have been asked to be chair of the stewardship committee at our former and future church. I dig stewardship. I was co-chair at our church here in Calgary and I got to give a very short sermon this past fall. It was about why I give money to the church. One of the reasons is because it brings me joy to do so. So I was thinking about why I make clothes for my children. We have plenty of money, I could go spend $65 on a skirt like this at some spiffy store. I make them, ruffles and all, because of the look on their faces when they put it on for the first time. For when Smallest will put on that skirt and twirl and twirl. I do it because it brings me joy.

And that's stewardship too!

Now it's on to the x-stitch Santas and the baby sweater!

2.25 hours today, 36 hours total.

Margie

3 comments:

  1. I guess I've always cheated in making ruffles. My mom always taught me to sew the longest stitch and then pull one thread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super post (and skirt), Cousin! Hannah would love to see a video of the twirling in action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do make the ruffle with the longest thread trick, but two threads side by side holds the gathers better than just one.
    Sure enough, when she put the skirt on this morning, there was some serious twirlin' goin' on! I'll see if she'll twirl again for a video.

    ReplyDelete