Saturday, January 13

Growing gardens

14 years! I can't believe it. 

I am so pleased that I decided the grandmother's garden quilt could be a good project for planes - it definitely is, and I am making good progress! I also figured out a better way to construct the flowers, so that is speeding things up as well. Specifically: For the first two flowers, I started with the middle yellow hexagon and built out from there. However, it meant that there were a lot of inefficient seams (joining a couple of hexagons but creating a new interface in need of sewing). I tried in a couple of cases to go up and back along these orphan interfaces, but it wasn't very aesthetically pleasing. So! For the third flower, I tried sewing each hexagon into a pair, then building up pairs (or triplets, as needed) into strips, then sewing the strips together. It was much less fussing with changing angles, much more secure (as each of the pairs was better fastened together), and much faster! I went from starting the pink to finishing the pink entirely and finishing all of the blue pairs in one session with my mom and two flights. See? In the first photo, you can also see how convenient of a project this is on a plane. :)

I think I'll start a counter to motivate further progress:

Full flowers: 3/64 done (plus 1 started)

Half flowers: 0/8 done

- Catherine







No comments:

Post a Comment