Tuesday, February 19

Four is the loveliest number...

Thanks in part to evil twin's encouragement, I got reinvigorated to work on the quilt yesterday. The extra challenge for the day is that my seam ripper was at another location, so any stitching that went awry would have to be fixed with scissors, pins, teeth, etc. I still haven't worked up my courage to go back to the seam that was defying me (connecting some of the blocks of 4 together), so I turned to the final pairs of blocks that needed to be sewed up into blocks of 4. Happily, during 12 seams, I only needed to redo one seam in full and two in part. I did also pull apart one seam within a block when I realized that the width of the block was way too short (almost 1/2 inch short, which is my seam allowance!), and would cause problems later. I need to iron those, but otherwise I'm ready to turn back to assembling them into larger pieces. Actually, there are only 18 seams left before I have a complete 12 x 12 grid. Very exciting! My new goal is to finish before my birthday (only 5 weeks away), so I'll have to keep moving.

The only other thing worth reporting is that I didn't have to change my bobbin thread the whole time, and as I was doing the last seam I thought, surely I will have to run out of luck and the thread will end at any moment. But, it held! However, I then noticed the thread on the spool is down to about 10 wraps around the spool, so I was certainly cutting it close. Phew!

Altogether a very satisfying day. 2.5 hours; 36:10 total.

Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment