Tuesday, January 10

Knitting Envy

As I mentioned before, I taught Middle how to knit over the Christmas break. We went to a fabulous yarn shop (Shuttles, Spindles and Skeins - the closest to my parents' house) and we looked at all the yarn and there was lots of touching and admiring. She selected a very nice light minty green yarn for her own and then, rather than settle for the very functional plastic or metal needles, she chose the more expensive wooden needles with fancy do-dads on the ends.

She has been happily knitting away, and was delighted when I could finally teach her how to cast on. I've taught her how to finish her piece, and showed her how to decrease by knitting two together. She's having lots of fun. I'm still trying to finish the baby sweater.

The baby sweater is getting close. I'm working the decreases in the sleeves and only have about 10 more rows to go? Something encouragingly close. But truly, I wander into my closet and look at my stash of yarn and think about all the other things I could be working on. I am ready for a new knitting project. It's good that I've taken time along the way to knit other things, although perhaps I would have finished the sweater sooner without the interruption. Who knows.

At any rate, I'm jealous of Middle's freedom to knit whatever she wants - she had knit an inch or two, and then during recess at school yesterday (where many girls crochet, but only the truly individual knit) she decreased from 35 stitches to 3 just to see what would happen! She ended up undoing the whole piece, but she is unconcerned, because she's not trying to make anything at this point. Fun to explore. (and she gets to cast on again, which not all the knitters can do)

I worked on the sweater for 1.5 hours while the girls were at choir practice last Thursday, and then another 30 minutes during Smallest's ballroom dance lesson.

And when Middle tires of knitting, I'm stealing her fancy needles!

2 hours last week, 2.5 hours total

Margie

No comments:

Post a Comment