Friday, January 13

[insert evil laugh here]

Well, I see that my nemesis, Quilt Girl, has yet to respond to my challenge! I, Knitting Lady, shall continue, uncontested until I triumph over the oppressive fabric coverings and enslave the sheep of the world! All the yarn shall be mine!

In truth, I didn't work that much this week. A little here, and then more tonight. I had a really funny moment though. I was working on the sleeves tonight while Smallest was at her ballroom dance class and as it's time to make raglan sleeves, I thought I was at the point where I was almost done, having reached 40 stitches, so I started on the next stage of the instructions, where you reduce stitches on the right side and the wrong side. So I worked four rows and then looked at the directions again. It said I was supposed to do the reducing on both sides only one time and then I would have 23 stitches (for the size I'm making). Uh-oh. So I looked farther up in the instructions to see how, if I had 40 stitches, would I be able to reduce by 4 and get 23?

Turns out I was supposed to work 40 rows at the end of which I would have 27 stitches. Now it's all making sense. So, I thought for a minute and decided that I would just rip back and move forward from there. Ah well. I also discovered that when one of the sleeves had an odd number of stitches and the other had even, it was the odd one that was correct, so I'll have to fix that too. They're both even now.

It pays to read the instructions carefully. I'm starting to worry though that these sleeves are going to be really long. I have to remind myself that they're raglan sleeves, so I'm making the shoulders right now. I won't have to find a mutant baby with extra long arms to be the recipient of the sweater. At least I hope so.

1 hour today (45, plus 15 at Tuesday choir), 3.5 total.

Margie

1 comment: