Friday, February 16

You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here (in my pile of mending)

Mending time! I've been trying to do some organizing in my life, and was reminded that I have this stack of mending that needs doing. I think I got nervous about one particular mending job (on a stretchy part of a hoodie), and let the other things pile up on top of it. There were also some more substantial reworking of clothes I wanted to do that I figured I needed a tailor for. But! While Margie was here last year, we tried out a local tailor and she was great! And I needed to take my portable sewing machine down to my parents house on Tuesday to fix my dad's pants, and thought I might as well get started on some of my own things as well. So far I have fixed a seam on one of my favorite reusable grocery bags, the waistline of one of my favorite skirts (where the seam had come apart in two places), the strap of a mask (technically disposable, but it was barely used), taken out the darts in a dress that will (hopefully) become a skirt, and fixed the zipper part of some fun pants I bought on our trip. For the last one: Basically, someone had put in a zipper on top of the existing fabric, so unzipping the zipper only gave you about 2 extra inches in the width to take the pants off and on. I needed a lot more than that! In fact, I'm pretty confident I never got to actually try these pants on before, because of that silly feature. So finally I got up the nerve to cut right down between the zipper and then just sew around the new edges so they don't fray. And it worked perfectly! I can now get into the pants (see?), and they are super comfy and beautiful. 


More mending & a visit to the tailor to come!

I also had a couple of webinars this week where I got to sew hexagons, and finished one more half-flower. Three seams to go until these halves are done!

Full flowers: 4/64 done

Half flowers: 6/8 done 

- Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment