Monday, May 22

Yeah, baby!

Catherine, did you intend to reference Star Wars in your last post?  A new hope indeed!  

I have been working on a baby blanket for our neighbors who had their second daughter this month.  I've wanted to used this kind of yarn for a while, so I did it!  It's all acrylic, which isn't my favorite, but I'm hoping that the ease of care will outweigh any negatives.  I was going to do simple knit/purl patterns changing with the colors, but then decided it needed some lace, so I used one of my Modern Daily knitting field guides that had ways to adorn sock patterns and that's worked out well.

I've since started an i-cord bind off and I'm hoping to finish in the next day or two.  It takes a while, and I think there's over 580 stitches to bind off, so it will take a while.  Mostly I'm hoping I have enough yarn.  I think I do?  We shall see.  I have a second big thing of the same yarn (different colors) to make something for the first child.  I'm curious to see how big a continuous Granny Square would get?

Since I didn't think it was appropriate to take my big, messy blanket to a church meeting yesterday, I cast on the next sock for Smallest.  It is Planifolia in Gauge Dye Works' Pumpkin Spice colorway.  I bought the yarn many years ago to make socks for Smallest, and so finally they will appear!

Fun fact - While Smallest was cleaning up, preparing for some time at home this summer, she found Cannoli's first sock!  It was in the nest Cannoli had made under her bed.  Very fun.  Cannoli is going to be spending about six weeks with us this summer.  I think it will be a lot of fun.  Hopefully Ginny and Cannoli will get along.

Next projects... while working on the socks for Smallest, I will also be working on an Elwood sweater and a blanket for a postdoc at Georgia Tech who I've know online for many years.  She just had a baby in March and he is SO CUTE that I must knit for him.  I'll make the sweater in the six month size so that he can wear it when it gets cool in the fall.  I'm debating between two patterns for the blanket.  The first (Square within a square) looks relatively quick and easy.  The second (Ziggy Mandala) looks so cool, and would be fun to knit, but I worry about the attention it would require.  I'll have to think about this.  Maybe we can consult while you are here soon!  Yay for visits!

I have made some new cropped pants to replace the ones I made that are wearing out.  I even found the same fabric as before.  I am boring.  I finished one pair, now I need to finish the second.  Something else to do while I am working from home.  I am home to supervise The Boy, as he's in a bit of a depressive funk.  I am hoping to get the school to let him take more classes than he is currently.  He is bored, and a bored Boy is a sad Boy.  We're also looking at finding a job, which is hard when one is not motivated to do so.  Ah well.  We see the psychiatrist on June 1, so hopefully she'll have some thoughts.  He's also (hopefully) going to start PT for his hip, and I think that small bit of exercise will also help.  I'll be doing his exercises with him at home to make sure they get done.

I think that's about all I know.  We've bought tickets and booked campsites for a trip to the Canadian National Parks in the Rockies.  It should be a fun trip.

Margie

No comments:

Post a Comment