Wednesday, January 18

Fsh

So, quilt #1 for the year:

Many years ago, I made a quilt for a friend's new baby. Then she had another baby. I am less prompt with this quilt, as I think the baby is now ~5. However, still a child, so that's promising...

The child has expressed a preference for purple + sea creatures, so I found some fun paper piecing templates of fish. I have never done paper piecing before, and it was simultaneously very easy and very frustrating, as I didn't want to make the pieces of fabric SO BIG that it would be too wasteful but also kept forgetting to make the mirror image of the weird shapes. Sigh. 

Anyway, I finished the fish back in December - see?









There were 9 different patterns in the template, but I wanted a slightly bigger quilt, so did 2x8 of them. I already regret how busy the fabrics are, but not enough to stop/redo it. Hopefully it will be a fun cacophony for the child and not just weird. :P

This weekend and yesterday I sewed them together and removed all the paper from the back, which was easier than expected - the instructions had made me think that I was likely to tear out some stitches, yikes! Here is the school:









I am planning to sew buttons on a few to make their faces clearer, which prompted the title of this post (what do you call a fish with no eyes, ha ha). Then I need to make decisions about the border, assemble, quilt and finish off! Exciting.

- Catherine


No comments:

Post a Comment