Sunday, May 24

My Turn

Back at the beginning of May, it was decided that Catherine had served her time and needed to go home.  Mostly Catherine decided this, but we all supported that decision.  So, with things not quite where we, the children, felt they needed to be, I got in the car and drove to Colorado in time to see Catherine off on her drive home.  Things are mostly good now.

The plus of working from home and being away from home while I'm working is that I don't have a lot to do when I'm not working.  I help with dinner, groceries, their dog, and house stuff, but my parents are much tidier than my kids.  Go figure.  So I've had a lot of time for knitting.  Yay!

The first thing I finished was the Metronome shawl.  I had gotten to the border before I left (I think?) so there wasn't a lot to complete.  I still need to block it, and I'm not entirely sure that I love it.  I think that the white yarn is too "stiff" for the shawl.  I think it needed a larger needle size, but the brown didn't.  I should have used two colors of the same yarn, but alas, I did not.  While still knitting it, I did test block just the end on the white side, to see if it would behave and I think it will.  I haven't decided if I'll block this here, or when I get back home.



The next thing was to knit a pair of plain socks in the super stripy yarn, so that was completed as well.  It took way less time than it usually does, which was fun.  Less than a week.  I wore these to sleep one night and have decided that I need to make socks smaller than I have been.  They are certainly warm though.  These are destined for Smallest, I think.



Next were two washcloths in the Purl Soho waffle stitch washcloth pattern.  I messed up the pattern on the first one, but sorted it out for the second.  I have a little bit of linen left still.  I'll probably wait until I get home and then weigh things to see what I can make with what I have.  This is the second one, not quite finished.



Now I'm working on a Dangling Conversation shawl using a set of gradient yarn that I admired and Smallest got for me as a present.  It's going quickly, I've already finished the color I was using in the picture and am on the fourth of five now.  I'm hoping to finish it today or tomorrow and get it blocked so I can admire and wear it.  The yarn is very soft and fuzzy.



I don't have a Carbeth picture yet, but I've been wearing it, buttonless, a fair bit.  It was colder than I expected when I got here and I didn't bring many warm clothes, so it's been very useful!  It's pilling like crazy, but I'll use my new Gleener when I get home and sort that out, I hope.

Once I finish the shawl, I have plenty more sock yarn along with me, and I have some yarn to swatch for a sweater for Middle.  Middle was learning how to skateboard two days ago in our driveway and fell.  At the time, they thought they broke their arm, but decided they would wait and see.  Middle told Jeff yesterday morning, a Saturday, and after much driving around and waiting, the doctors determined that yes, they did.  It is hard to be far away while Middle is hurt, but the good news is the break didn't go all the way through, they don't need a cast, and it's their non-dominant arm.  I will have to go home in a week or so to return to work, so there will be time to dote on the injured child.

Catherine has some big news of her own, but that will be for her to tell if she ever returns to the blog.

I think that's it.  I'll post again one I make it home and things are blocked.

Margie

No comments:

Post a Comment