Friday, November 17

A Tale of Two Sleevies

A friend of mine had a baby last year and the baby has been my balm to the political woes and distress on Facebook this past year.  I decided I wanted to knit him a sweater (because a baby sweater is a lot smaller than an adult sweater!) and found a super cute pattern and some fun yarn as well.

I like to knit sleeves first so that I can test the gauge without knitting a swatch, and because they're easy.  However, after knitting most of the first sleeve, I carefully read the pattern and discovered that I had made several errors in increasing along the way.  I decided it really wasn't such a big deal and went ahead anyhow.

Then I did the second sleeve properly and after blocking, there is a clear difference.  Bummer.  On the left below is the second sleeve.  On the right is the first.




I don't want the little one's arm to be constrained in any way, so I've decided that since I have an abundance of yarn, I'll just make a third sleeve, and do it properly like the second one.  It won't take too long once I'm able to sit for a little while (Middle School Dance Workshop volunteering, I'm looking at you!) and then I can sew everything up, put a button band on and send it off to an adorable little guy.  I am thinking about a little hat too, to match the sweater.  I wonder if I can make a smaller version of the hat I made for Jeff back in 2014.  Hmmm....

At any rate, after the sleeve, I am back to Christmas knitting in earnest.  I have three things planned.  Two are underway for Jeff's girls - an Alexandra's Airplane Scarf and the Purl Soho Lovely Ribbed Cowl in worsted twist.  The third thing will be Gully Gloves for Smallest.  I am hoping that with the school break next week, I can make a fair bit of progress on these.

Margie


No comments:

Post a Comment